Located in northeast Iowa. Established in 1873 

Community Comment at City Council Meetings

The city will continue to take public comment at City Council meetings, with a new format due to electronic meetings. The city is requesting that community members that would like to use the community comment email the city and fill out the provided form. Providing notice to the city allows for staff to prepare for community comments and provides time for community members to be heard.


Community members should email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. All meeting information can be found on the city’s website under agendas and minutes. A three minute time slot will be allotted to each community member who provides a request for public comment 24 hours in advance of a city council meeting.

County Recycling Bins Removed from City

Due to Covid-19 Fayette County has stopped accepting recycling items and have removed their blue bins from the parking lot.  The City has closed that parking area as no dumping is allowed.  Please contact Fayette County at 563.422.3712 for questions on the County's recycling program.

City residents will continue to receive curbside recycling pickup.




Inspections Delayed

All rental inspections have been postponed until further notice. Community Development will only inspect new construction at this time. Permits are still required for all work being completed.

COVID-19 Response (Coronavirus)

The City of Oelwein understands the importance of keeping everyone safe and ensuring a calculated response to the pandemic COVID-19. The City is following guidance from the county and state officials to ensure that all information is up to date and accurate. The City wants to ensure staff and community members are safe and essential services are provided. The City of Oelwein has made the following changes to procedures to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

The Oelwein Public Library will close to the public March 16, 2020 at Noon until further notice.

The Williams Wellness Center will close to the public March 16, 2020 at Noon until further notice.

Oelwein City Hall will close to the public March 16, 2020 at Noon until further notice.

The City will provide updates to this situation as new information is provided. With cooperation from the public, and with everyone remaining calm, the city can and will work through this difficult time. Oelwein is a great community and has the right people in place to work through this situation.

This is new area for the city and will be changing quickly as updates are available.

The City strongly encourages residents to educate themselves and visit Center for Disease Control Website https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

History of Oelwein

The town of Oelwein was laid out in a corn field purchased from G.A. Oelwein on the coming of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Minnesota Railroad (later called the Rock Island) in 1872. Some years later... Read More

Contact Us

 (319) 283-5440
 (319) 283-4032
 20 2nd Ave. S.W.