The Community Development Department oversees Building Permits, Rental Inspections and Code Enforcement. The department is located at City Hall.
Permits within the city limits of Oelwein are required for a variety of items. They provide for control of and adherence to applicable laws and regulations.
Apply for a permit here.
Here is a partial list of permits that may be required.
• Construction of a new residential, commercial or industrial building including garages and accessory buildings
• Construction of an addition to an existing building, dwelling or garage
• Deck, porch, stairs, steps, ramps or entry way
• Any addition or construction that changes the exterior dimensions of existing buildings
• Fencing, new or alteration, relocation or reconstruction
• Electrical Permit – any new, added or change of electrical system
• Plumbing Permit – any new, added or change of plumbing system
• HVAC – any new, added or change of HVAC system
• Demolition of structures - residential, commercial or industrial
Contractor Licensing - The City of Oelwein requires that all Contractors working within the City be licensed and/or registered with the City and the State of Iowa. See applicable code sections for further information. The City of Oelwein has adopted the following codes:
• International Building Code (Section 12-2)
• International Existing Building Code (Section 12-5)
• International Residential Code (Section 12-7)
• Uniform Plumbing Code (Section 12-13)
• Uniform Mechanical Code (Section 12-15)
• National Electrical Code Section 12-16)
Rental Registrations and Vacant Properties
The City of Oelwein's new Rental and Vacant Building Program is now in effect. Property owners must register their rental property before March 1, 2019. Landlords and vacant building owners are encouraged to review the Rental Inspection Policy, Rental Inspection Checklist Guide, Rental Fee Schedule, Rental Code and Vacant Building Permit & Inspection Code.
Code Enforcement actively responds to concerns and complaints regarding a variety of potential code violations relating to property standards, illegal signage, garbage/trash, etc. that do not comply with chapters 12, 16 and 25 of the city code.
Report a code violation/nuisance here.
Community Development Department Staff
Building Official/Zoning Administrator
James V. Prouty
Building Inspector/Flood Plain Manager/Code Enforcement Officer