Welcome to the Oelwein Parks and Recreation Department. The full brochure can be found here which includes recreational programming descriptions. Recreation registration forms can be picked up at the Williams Wellness Center.
The Oelwein Parks and Recreation Department, under the supervision of Superintendent Joshua Johnson maintains 9 parks and recreational areas containing more than 173 acres of land. Also under the Parks and Recreation Department’s care is a 40 site campground that offers kayak rental on a 55 acre artificial “no-wake” lake, numerous shelter and playground areas and 3.64 miles of walk/bike trails.
Joshua and his employees Pat Ledesma, Tim Ledesma, Mark Burgin and Rick Peterson invite you to enjoy the amenities the facilities offer.
1. Appreciation Park – One acre located at 1st Avenue and 1st Street SW, this park is also known as Orville Christophel Memorial or Log Cabin Park. The park offers a historical monument from days of yore, picnic tables, benches and parking for downtown shopping.
2. City Park – 69 acres located on South Frederick this park is frontage property to a 55 acre artificial lake names Lake Oelwein. The park offers picnic shelters with tables, open play area, tennis court, sand volleyball and horseshoe courts, restroom facilities, modern and primitive camping and dump station. The park offers “No Wake” boating access to Lake Oelwein. This park is home to playground equipment installed with the help of the Kids Playground Fund.
3. Levin Park – 2 acres located at 4th Avenue and 4 ½ Street SW, this park offers picnic tables, open play field and is bordered by a natural wooded environment.
4. Platts Park – 16 acres located at 7th Street and 7th Avenue SE, this park offers 1.25 miles of foot paths, picnic shelters and tables, playground equipment, horseshoe court, restrooms, and a large playfield. This Park is the home of a Gazebo and “Trail of Dreams” created by Oelwein Care Center. The park is home to playground equipment installed with the help of the Kids Playground Fund.
5. Redgate Park – 24 acres located on West Charles Street, this park offers a large wooded area, as well as picnic facilities, playground equipment, tennis court, horseshoe courts, restrooms and Bocco Ball courts. This park has playground equipment installed by the Kids Playground Fund.
6. Reidy Park – 3 acres located at 2nd Street and Hillside Drive, this park offers a basketball court, playground equipment, picnic facilities, new and improved tennis courts and playground equipment installed by the Kids Playground Fund.
7. Walter P. Chrysler Park – 2 acres located at North Frederick and 2nd Street offers a gazebo with picnic facilities, water fountain and flower gardens.
8. Wing’s Park – 24 acres located at 4th Street and 5th Avenue NE is home to the Oelwein Family Aquatics Center. The park offers picnic shelters and tables, tennis courts, three softball fields, basketball court, horseshoe courts, restrooms and playground equipment installed with the help of the Kids Playground Fund.
9. Veterans Sports Complex, 201 20th Street SE just off Highway 150 South. This complex offers two soccer fields, two softball and two baseball fields. The complex is restricted in use for league play only. Modern restrooms, concessions and drinking fountains are available.
10. Oelwein Family Aquatics Center - located at 411 4th Street NE offers a zero-depth entry pool, 150 foot water slide, 6 racing lanes, 1 and 3 meter diving boards, sunning deck, modern changing facilities, playground facility and concessions. It’s the “cool” place to be on a hot summer’s day!